Who We Are
To transform lives and communities through the power of literacy.
A just and equitable community in which literacy is accessible and achievable by all.
- We believe the pursuit of knowledge is a lifelong journey for our students, tutors, staff, board, and community.
- We offer transformative learning experiences to people of all backgrounds, ages, and abilities.
- We believe individuals have the power to reach their own potential through teaching, learning, and community involvement.
- We trust and believe in our students when they share their experiences, goals, insights, and vision.
- We co-create learning environments where the dignity, worth, and complexity of each person is honored.
Equity and Justice
- We believe access to lifelong quality education is the cornerstone of a more just and equitable society.
- We commit to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of our organization and recognize that racism is a major barrier to achieving a community where literacy is accessible to all.
- We serve as equal partners with students, tutors, staff, and board to help students reach their goals.
Leadership and Innovation
- We respond to a changing landscape, creating new pathways for groups and individuals to reach their full potential.
- We initiate collaboration in a nonpartisan manner to engage the community in advocating for the change required to create a more literate Buncombe County.
- We commit to the highest standards of professionalism, honesty, and integrity in all individual, business, and community interactions.
Literacy Together (formerly The Literacy Council of Buncombe County) was created in 1986 as a merger of two leading adult literacy organizations – Altrusa of Asheville and the Asheville-Buncombe Literacy Council. Since our beginning 35 years ago, we have continued to grow programming and expand our reach to meet the literacy and English language needs of people of all ages in Buncombe County.