PAID INTERNSHIP* $15/hr!
Igniting Superhero Readers
An opportunity to make a difference in the life of a grade-school student and
build professional experience for your future.
Literacy Together is hiring interns to provide 1:1 reading tutoring to elementary-age students at multiple after-school program locations. The students are primarily youth of color, many of whom would benefit from a champion to inspire them to become strong readers. Literacy Together will offer a paid internship for young adults ages 15 to 23, who will be trained and supported to work as reading tutors. Interns will receive intensive training in an established multi-sensory approach to teaching reading, and the students will be pre- and post-tested to measure their progress.
*$16/hr for all current college students and returning interns
YTL Tutoring location: Campus of Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church, 789 Merrimon Ave., North Asheville
CWA Tutoring location: Christine W. Avery Learning Center, 135 Hill St., Asheville
Stephens-Lee Recreation Center: 30 George Washington Carver Ave, Asheville
West Buncombe Elementary School/YMCA After-School program: 175 Erwin Hills Rd, Asheville , across from Erwin HS
SCHOOL YEAR TUTORING SESSIONS
2-4 days per week (Mon-Thurs), 2-8 hours per week, between 3:15 and 5:30, hours are flexible.
SUMMER TUTORING SESSIONS
Mon-Thurs. from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m
Summer Applications open March 1
For any questions or issues contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
READING TUTORS—PAID INTERNSHIP
Asheville, North Carolina
Literacy Together The mission of Literacy Together is to transform lives and communities through the power of literacy. Our vision is a just and equitable community in which literacy is accessible and achievable by all. Our core values include: Lifelong Learning, Individual Dignity, Equity and Justice, Leadership and Innovation. We have programs in Adult Literacy, English for Speakers of Other Languages, Youth Literacy, and Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library®.
Literacy Together is inviting motivated and passionate candidates to participate in a paid internship to work as reading tutors and mentors for youth in Grades 1 to 5.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend training (TBD) and participate fully in all sessions.
- Arrive on time ready to tutor 1 to 3 students as assigned by staff. Demonstrate patience and a positive attitude to engage students to be successful in each session and to gain confidence in their reading skills.
- Communicate with Literacy Together staff for any questions or challenges related to tutoring and/or if you are going to arrive late or are unable attend a tutoring session.
- Dress and conduct yourself according to tutoring site guidelines and interact with staff and students in a respectful and professional manner to be a positive role model for students.
- Motivated to work with grade school-age children. Previous experience working with children preferred but not required.
- Minimum age 16 years to age 23.
- Available during the training period (TBD). With prior approval, it is possible to be excused for up to one week of tutoring, but it is mandatory to participate in the full training.
Compensation and Hours
Interns will receive a stipend of $15/hour. *$16/hr for all current college students and returning interns.
Payment is bi-weekly after successful completion of the week of training.