Position Announcement—September 2022
Program Associate: English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
The mission of Literacy Together is to transform lives and communities through the power of literacy. Our vision is for a just and equitable community in which literacy is accessible and achievable by all. We serve students of all ages in four programs: Adult Literacy, Youth Literacy, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), and Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library®. We have seven full- and/or part-time staff members, and more than 250 volunteers.
Detailed information is available on our website at www.lit-together.org
Literacy Together is seeking an experienced and passionate candidate to serve as an ESOL Associate. The ESOL program provides adult English learners with professionally trained volunteer tutors who teach them individually or in small groups for at least two hours per week. The ESOL Associate will assist the ESOL Director with all aspects of program management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Frequent communication via calls and texts with students (in Spanish) and volunteers (in English)
- Orient, register, and assess students
- Provide curriculum support to volunteers
- Assist ESOL Director with maintaining waiting list of students
- Participate as needed in training volunteer tutors
- Maintain accurate records in database
- Teach one or more ESOL classes
- Bilingual fluency and literacy in English and Spanish
- Very strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Experience with data management, keeping detailed records, compiling reports
- Strong computer literacy including Google Workspace (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Gmail)
- Willingness and ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Willingness and ability to use personal device(s) for calls/texts
- Some evening and possibly weekend availability
- TEFL/TESOL certification
- Experience teaching adult ESOL
Compensation and Hours
This is a 30-hour/week position that pays $28,000 per year. Many tasks (several hours per week) may be done remotely. Literacy Together offers a flexible work schedule and a generous time off package.
Current staff members are all fully vaccinated. Out of concern for vulnerable populations whom we serve, including those who are unable to vaccinate due to health reasons, we strongly encourage all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Anyone who is unvaccinated is required to wear a mask when in our office and/or interacting with clients or staff.
We center equity in our hiring process. Literacy Together strives to foster leadership and raise the voices of historically marginalized people, including but not limited to Black people and people of color, indigenous and native people, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, disabled people, immigrants, and low-income people. We strongly encourage candidates of these and other diverse backgrounds to apply.
Please send a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, along with a resume by email to: email@example.com. Use the subject line: “ESOL Associate Position” plus your last name. *No phone calls please*. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Start date will be as soon as possible.
READING TUTORS—PAID INTERNSHIP
Asheville, North Carolina
Literacy Together The mission of Literacy Together is to transform lives and communities through the power of literacy. Our vision is a just and equitable community in which literacy is accessible and achievable by all. Our core values include: Lifelong Learning, Individual Dignity, Equity and Justice, Leadership and Innovation. We have programs in Adult Literacy, English for Speakers of Other Languages, Youth Literacy, and the Dolly Parton Imagination Library.
Youth Transformed for Life (YTL) YTL Training provides after-school and summer programs for grade school children and teenagers. Our mission is to impact the knowledge and skills necessary for growth built on intellectual ability, social awareness, and personal skills that enhance participants’ potential for success. Learn more on Facebook page “YTL Training Program.”
Christine W. Avery Learning Center (CWA)
Igniting Superhero Readers
Literacy Together (LT) will provide an intensive reading component for children in Grades 1 to 5. The students are primarily youth of color, many of whom struggle with reading and have fallen behind in school during COVID. Literacy Together will offer a paid internship for young adults age 16 to 23 who will be trained and supported to work as reading tutors. Interns will receive an initial intensive training in an established multi-sensory approach to teaching reading, and the campers will be pre- and post-tested to measure their progress.
Literacy Together is inviting motivated and passionate candidates to participate in a paid internship to work as reading tutors and mentors for youth in Grades 1 to 5. Successful candidates will need to be available during the following times:
- Monday through Thursday, two to four days per week
- 2-8 hours per week, between 3:15 and 5:30, hours are flexible
- Available during the training period (TBD)
Interns will work on basic reading skills with 1 to 3 students at a time using the techniques and approach learned in training. Ongoing support will be provided by Literacy Together to ensure interns are comfortable with their new skills and to offer tips and suggestions to engage the campers in making progress in reading.
Tutoring sessions will be on Monday through Thursday. Interns will participate in a workshops to review how sessions are going and to learn additional tutoring skills. Additionally, workshop topics will include topics of interest to the tutors, such as writing a resume, interview skills, and/or other topics suggested by interns.
Both the training and tutoring will be in-person. COVID precautions will be in place and interns will receive instructions on their responsibility for following the guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend training TBD and participate fully in all sessions.
- Arrive on time ready to tutor 1 to 3 students as assigned by staff. Demonstrate patience and a positive attitude to engage students to be successful in each session and to gain confidence in their reading skills.
- Communicate with Literacy Together staff for any questions or challenges related to tutoring and/or if you are going to arrive late or are unable attend a tutoring session.
- Dress and conduct yourself according to YTL or CWA guidelines and interact with staff and students in a respectful and professional manner to be a positive role model for students.
- Motivated to work with grade-school age children. Previous experience working with children preferred but not required.
- Minimum age 16 years to age 23.
- Available during the training period (TBD). With prior approval, it is possible to be excused for up to one week of tutoring, but it is mandatory to participate in the full training.
Compensation and Hours
Interns will receive a stipend of $14/hour. The first payment will be the Monday after successful completion of the week of training. The following payments will be every two weeks on Mondays.
For any questions or issues contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once the online application is reviewed, someone from Literacy Together will reach out to set up a virtual interview. Invitations for hire will follow the interview within a week by phone.