Are you looking for the opportunity to make a difference? The Literacy Council has an exciting opportunity to join our team for a year! Apply today to become the Literacy Council’s next Recruitment and Awareness Coordinator through AmeriCorps. Please follow the link below to fill out your application.
Join AmeriCorps and “get things done”! Become a NC LiteracyCorps member at the Literacy Council of Buncombe County and improve literacy and English language skills in our community.
NC LiteracyCorps members provide literacy tutoring to youth and adults while building program capacity through volunteer tutor recruitment and management. The LiteracyCorps member working with the Literacy Council of Buncombe County will have the opportunity to:
- provide direct service tutoring,
- recruit and orient volunteers,
- recruit and support students,
- develop and enhance community partnerships,
- conduct visibility campaigns,
- manage a book gifting program, and
- participate in national days of service.
The Literacy Council’s NC LiteracyCorps member will begin in August 2018 and complete their service year in July 2019. Over the course of the year, the member will become an integral part of the Literacy Council’s full-time team, providing 1,700 hours of service.
The initial application period closes May 21. 2018 but will be accepting applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Benefits to the Member
NC LiteracyCorps members receive a living allowance of up to $13,732 and qualify for limited health insurance reimbursements. Upon completion of requirements, they are eligible to receive an educational award of $5,920. NC LiteracyCorps members receive training in volunteer management, literacy issues, tutoring strategies, diversity, and leadership skills. The member placed with the Literacy Council will also have a professional development stipend to participate in conferences and seminars throughout the service year.
To serve with the NC LiteracyCorps, the member must:
- be at least 18 years old
- have a high school diploma or equivalent
- successfully pass statewide and national criminal background checks
- be a U.S. Citizen, National, or Legal Permanent Resident of the United States
Preferred qualifications are:
- a deep commitment to providing educational opportunities to economically disadvantaged adults and youth and/or those who are from other cultures
- excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with staff, volunteers, and members of the community
- outstanding written and oral communication skills
- a working knowledge of office technology including Microsoft Office suites
- ability to work independently and collaboratively
- creative, strategic thinker with excellent organizational skills and ability to track deadlines
- available to work occasional evenings
[su_button url=”http://nclc.web.unc.edu/join-nclc/americorps-member/” target=”blank” style=”glass” background=”#eb5b3f” color=”#000000″ icon_color=”#000000″ text_shadow=”0px 0px 0px #000000″]APPLY HERE TODAY[/su_button]