Middle School Tutor Internships
PAID INTERNSHIP* $15/hr!
Help kids – get paid!
An opportunity to make a difference in the life of a middle school student and
build professional experience for your future.
Literacy Together is offering paid internships for young adults who would like to tutor 5th-6th graders in either reading or math. Interns will work 1-on-1 with students who are enrolled in a YMCA after-school program. Tutoring will take place at Enka Intermediate on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3:30-4:30pm. Interns can choose 2-3 days to tutor on a regular schedule. Interns will complete an online/self-paced training then meet with the program director before tutoring begins in January 2024.
*$16/hr for all current college students OR high school students with documented tutoring experience
ENKA INTERMEDIATE/YMCA After-School program: 125 Asheville Commerce Pkwy, Candler, NC 28715
SCHOOL YEAR TUTORING SESSIONS
2-3 days per week (Tues-Thurs), 2-3 hours per week, between 3:30 and 4:30.
If you have any trouble with the form, download and complete this fillable PDF and email to:
Watch a video about the program*
*The video shows our Youth Literacy program. The middle school initiative is new.
For any questions or issues contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
READING TUTORS—PAID INTERNSHIP
Asheville, North Carolina
Literacy Together The mission of Literacy Together is to transform lives and communities through the power of literacy. Our vision is a just and equitable community in which literacy is accessible and achievable by all. Our core values include: Lifelong Learning, Individual Dignity, Equity and Justice, Leadership and Innovation. We have programs in Adult Literacy, English for Speakers of Other Languages, Youth Literacy, and Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library®.
Literacy Together is inviting motivated and passionate candidates to participate in a paid internship to work as reading or math tutors and mentors for middle school youth in Grades 5-6.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete self-paced online training.
- Arrive on time ready to tutor 1 to 3 students as assigned by staff. Demonstrate patience and a positive attitude to engage students to be successful in each session and to gain confidence in their reading skills.
- Communicate with Literacy Together staff for any questions or challenges related to tutoring and/or if you are going to arrive late or are unable attend a tutoring session.
- Dress and conduct yourself according to tutoring site guidelines and interact with staff and students in a respectful and professional manner to be a positive role model for students.
- Motivated to work with middle school students. Previous experience a plus but not required.
- Available during the training period. With prior approval, it is possible to be excused for up to one week of tutoring, but it is mandatory to participate in the full training.
Compensation and Hours
Interns will receive a stipend of $15/hour. *$16/hr for all current college students OR high school students with documented tutoring experience.
Payment is bi-weekly after successful completion of the training.